About Me

Lunes, Oktubre 31, 2016

Blood-sucking student

A four-year course, Bachelor of Science in Public Health (formerly known as Bachelor of Science in Hygiene) is designed to provide students with academic and practical training in the basic health sciences. Often compared to the Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology (BS MT) program, BS Public Health (BS PH) differs in a lot of areas. Both may have similar subjects but BS PH is focuses more on promoting health, preventing diseases and protecting communities. According to Republic Act no. 5527 Section 8, both BS MT and BS PH programs can take the annual registration for medical technologists. As future medical technologists, students are trained to do different clinical laboratory procedures such as blood typing, urinalysis, fecalysis and venipuncture. Venipuncture is done for the purpose of withdrawing blood for hematological, biochemical or bacteriological analysis. It is one of the basic skills students need to master to be a full grown public health associate.

Getting to know patients may not usually be written in books but it is the first step in performing a venipuncture. As presented in class, tourniquet application a device (usually rubber) that checks bleeding or blood flow by compressing blood vessels is done for easier inspection of the vein. After locating the vein, clean using a cotton pad soaked in 70% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure the bevel or the slanted surface or edge of the needle is up before inserting and the patient is closing their fist. Start pulling the plunger a part of syringe that moves up and down inside the tube if the vein was hit and continue until needed volume is achieved. After getting the needed blood tell the patient to open their fist and remove the tourniquet. Stop the bleeding by putting cotton and applying pressure. Lastly remove the needle as fast as you can.

Eventually, after several lectures, the day of performing our own venipunctures came and us noisy students fidget in our seats. A friend who acted as my patient was waiting while I kept swallowing saliva to mask my fear as I had no idea on what I was about to do. I knew I had to do it quickly but carefully to disperse the crowd made up of my teacher and classmates criticizing my every move. As I calmed myself that is when the problem arose, I cannot palpate the vein and I needed to do it. It was a blind-shot. I inserted the syringe without caring for the outcome. Two minutes passed and still no blood inside the needle. That is when the teacher came to the rescue. My friend was hurt but as expected, the vein was not hit and the teacher did it instead. It was embarrassing and disappointing. Friends comforted me after but I could not erase the fact that I was a failure.

Nothing changes without pressure. Every day I look for an expert to extract blood from me to not just experience but also to see firsthand the process of venipuncture. Finally, Sir Rommel Gestuveo, my anatomy and histopathology teacher agreed. If I was fast, Sir Rommel was swift. Unfortunately, he was pressured due to the presence of two registered medical technologist faculty from the biology division resulting to a collapsed vein and collection of blood lesser than the required volume. Still, no one can stop me. At home I would practice with my brothers. Even our laboratory technician, Mrs. Tess Go, a registered medical technologist agreed to extract blood from me. I was not sure if she was feeling ill because she just recovered from pneumonia or I was just unlucky because yet again, the blood extraction was a failure. I was devastated and losing hope.

According to Barack Obama, "We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it". They may never stop comparing Medical Technology to Public Health and say we are not competent to take the Medical Technologist board exam but we do not listen to them. Don’t mind and just always strive in everything and it will all be worth it. After a few awful attempts and bruising my own family, I know I am ready. I know I have learned. As we met again for our venipuncture activity I successfully extracted 5 cc of blood from my schoolmates earning a very good on my grading card. My teacher regarded me as the most improved student. Do you want to know my secret? Be confident.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento